- Shallots / Pearl onions - 15 nos.
- Onion - 1/2 chopped ( Optional ).
- Tomato - 1/2 chopped.
- Cilantro - as required to garnish
- Moong Dhal - 3/4 cup
- Turmeric powder - pinch
- Hing - pinch
- Salt - As required
- Sambar podi - 1 tsp ( Optional ).
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp.
- Urud Dhal - 1/2 tsp.
- Kadalai paruppu - 1/2 tsp.
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp.
- Take a pan, drop 1 tsp of oil.
- After oil gets heated up, put mustard seeds. After they splutter, add urud dhal, kadalai paruppu, cumin seeds.
- When they turn golden brown, then put hing, turmeric powder,shallots, onion and saute them.
- When the onion and shallots turn golden brown then put tomatoes and saute them.
- Put salt as required and pour water, bring them to boil.
- Then add the cooked moong dhal into the mixture and boil for some more minutes.
- After it is done, garnish the sambar with cilantro and the sambar is ready to serve.
- This Sambar will go well with Pongal, Dosa, Idli.
Another Version of this sambar:
You can replace the moong dhal with toor dhal and can add 1 1/2 tsp of sambar powder and tamarind water and follow the same procedure to make another version which will also go well with Pongal, Dosa and idli.